Tuesday, March 17, 2009
The top surface under the bridge on this guitar was not suitable to reglue the bridge back on. Stuart routed off the glue and uneven area and replaced it with some clean spruce. We epoxied this on so that future removal of the bridge would not loosen this area.
Posted by Fairbuilt at 10:25 PM
Saturday, March 14, 2009
This mandolin had been previously repaired and the top had failed again, so we decided to take the back off and have a look inside. Stuart removed all the cleats and braces and put splines in all the cracks. Then it was reinforced with a layer of fiberglass and epoxy and a brace like the original was made and added. Next the back will be glued back on a we try it out!
Posted by Fairbuilt at 4:38 PM
This original bridge on this 90's J-45 had slipped forward a bit mounding up the lacquer and causing bad intonation. It was also coming up at the back. After removing it, we found it was too warped to fit properly. We were able to soften the lacquer and let it relax and readhere to the top. Unable to acquire a replacement through Gibson, we made a new one.
Posted by Fairbuilt at 8:39 AM
This fine old guitar needed the neck reset, and a new bridge to replace the original which had split and then been "repaired" at some point. Also, all the back braces were loose and needed to be reglued. We were able to clean up most of the mystery goo around the bridge.
Posted by Fairbuilt at 7:14 AM
Wednesday, March 4, 2009
The scroll on this old violin was broken off and missing completely. Stuart made this one and attached it to the neck. It is not uncommon to for a scroll to be spliced on a new neck, the scroll being the signature of the maker and the part that is saved. Stuart did this the other way around and added his scroll to the existing neck.
Posted by Fairbuilt at 1:07 PM